Friday, February 27, 2009

Dreams Change Shape

Isn't it funny how our dreams change over the years. When I was very little I told someone that when I grew up I wanted to have boobs "as big as the world" so I could knock everyone down. Really.

Later I dreamed of being a farmer with a stay-at-home husband who would do all the housework.

And then I dreamed of qualifying for the Olympics in the 100m high hurdles.

And then I dreamed of becoming a large animal veterinarian.

Or a forsensic pathologist.

And of completing an internship in International Business in Mazatlan, Mexico.

I never dreamed I would be a mother. And yet it makes me happy. I never dreamed I would have this career, yet I enjoy my days. I never dreamed I would be raising a family and living in Cowley County and be married for the second time at age 32. Yet I am happy. And though there are so many of my dreams that never came true, I don't feel like a failure.

Dreams change shape.

Now I dream of finding more success in my career.

And of someday consulting rather than punching the clock like I do now.

And of retiring early.

And spending my days creating artful photographs that make me happy at a glance.

And making things with my own bare hands.

And watching my boys find their own happiness in this world.

And aging gracefully... with the man I love.

3 comments:

  1. Very beautifully put! I agree...there was a time I wanted to be a "painter" and paint peoples faces (makeup artist LOL) and then I wanted to be a hitman and an FBI or CIA agent....haven't done any of those things and don't feel too bad about myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes my eyes get all hot and watery...stop that.

    ReplyDelete