Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Mother's Prayer

I can't help but be overcome with sadness this morning. The jury in the Jodi Sanderholm murder case just found Justin Thurber guilty of Capital Murder, Kidnapping and Criminal Sodomy. For those of you who are not familiar with the case you may read about this on http://arkcity.net/ or http://kwch.com/.

My heart aches for the Sanderholm family today especially, but also to Thurber's mother. I cannot imagine the heartache those families are feeling today and have felt for the past two years while they waited for this day to happen.

No punishment that a human could concoct would serve as justice for the unspeakable acts committed against this woman. No torture would ease the pain and torment that Jodi's family is experiencing. This was truly a mother's worst nightmare come true.

How many nights have I woken in tears after dreaming that someone had hurt one of my children. I've often wondered how I would go on were I to have to bear that burden. I pray that I never have to try. The Sanderholms seem to be a family who has drawn on their strong faith to see them through these times. What a test of faith.

I can't imagine having raised a child who grew up only to violently murder another mother's child. I would think that a mother would spend the rest of her days wondering if there was anything she did wrong, or anything she could have done differently that would have prevented such a tragedy. Lord knows that we all question our parenting decisions on a daily basis as is, let alone in a situation like this.

I am happy for Jodi to know that her murderer was found guilty. I pray that the Justice system serves Jodi and her family well in the sentencing phase and beyond. I pray that they find some closure once this trial and sentencing comes to a close.

May the Lord bless and keep our children safe from harm. May the Lord guide our children's hands to do good deeds and refrain from causing harm to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment